There are so many questionable “error” coins in ebay auctions that it is impossible to notate all of them. Most of these coins are being sold as authentic errors. Others do not fool the collector but they may want one of these as an example in their collection.
Mated pairs and chain strikes must match 100%. The sold items listed below were very obvious that they did not match. A new selling technique is to place two off center coins together to look as if they were struck at the same time. These are being sold as matched pairs. Buyer beware.
In my opinion, counterfeits should be slabbed by the major grading services as these are highly collectible. If they can encapsulate “waffled coins”, made to order “error coins” by private mints and private counterstamps, why not these?
This listing is mostly my opinion and is not necessarily the opinion of the editor or the buyer.
Here are records of recent sales on eBay from July 1, 2008 to December 31, 2008.
1. ALL LOTS HAD BUYERS. IF THE COINS ACTUALLY CHANGED HANDS IS UNKNOWN.
2. A PICTURE ACCOMPANIED EACH LOT OR IT WAS NOT RECOGNIZED.
3. BLURRY PICTURES OR OTHER PROBLEMS ARE NOTATED UNDER “OBSERVATION”.
4. ITEMS MISLABELLED COMMANDED A SMALL PREMIUM.
5. SOME LOTS CHANGED HANDS MORE THAN ONCE.
6. ANY SCRATCHES, DENTS OR DEFECTS NOTATED WERE EITHER IN THE DESCRIPTION OR GRADING SERVICES’ HOLDERS.
7. AUCTION HOUSES THAT LISTED THESE ERRORS WERE IGNORED.
8. SHIPPING CHARGES ARE NOT INCLUDED.