Here are records of recent sales of Presidential Dollar and Native American Dollar mint errors on eBay from October 1, 2010 to December 31, 2010.
1. All lots had buyers. If the coins actually changed hands is unknown.
2. A picture accompanied each lot or it was not recognized.
3. Blurry pictures or other problems are notated under “observation.”
4. Items mislabeled commanded a small premium.
5. Some lots changed hands more than once.
6. Any scratches, dents or defects notated were either in the description or grading service’s holders.
7. Auction houses that listed these errors were ignored.
8. Shipping charges are not included.
Missing edge lettering: The George Washington dollars have dropped in value since my last report. John Adams dollars remain unchanged.
The double edge lettering John Adams dollars are changing hands at lower prices. PCGS and NGC prices dropped slightly. Raw examples dropped in value. A few Satin Finish examples have shown up on eBay that are MEL. Only a few of these are known with the collector choosing to ignore them or pay a very low price.
Various other Presidential smooth edge dollars that are Unc and (SMS) satin finish are being offered. These Satin Finish examples are found in Special Mint Sets that are suppose to be scrutinized by the mint employees at each process.
In 2009, the Sacagawea dollars started have edge lettering. For 2009 and 2010, some examples of MEL’s are showing up.
Partial edge lettering and weak edge lettering errors have all gone down in price. This includes the ones found in (SMS) special mint sets.
Some rare examples of missing edge lettering (MEL) are selling cheap. One reason, they are not real examples of the error. Buyer beware!!!